About Taunagh National School
Taunagh National School is a two teacher school located in the heart of Riverstown village in Co. Sligo. The two story school building is situated on a raised site overlooking the Unshin river and is surrounded by a large play area consisting of a two grassed areas, a basketball court and a shelter. Within the school building, which was renovated and extended in 2009, are a junior classroom, a senior classroom, a computer and learning support room, an office, toilet facilities and a store room. The school also has an outdoor classroom, flower and vegetable beds.
The school has two full time teachers: Mrs. Chloe McGoldrick (Principal) who teaches the senior classes and Ms. Crummy who teaches the junior pupils. Ms. Reynolds is our Special Education Teacher.
“ Our aim is to provide a learning environment in which each child is encouraged to develop his/her capabilities to the fullest extent. The pupils in our school are expected to always give of their best and to achieve high standards of work and behaviour.”
School starts at 9.10 a.m.
Infants finish at 1.40 p.m. (Junior infants finish at 12pm during the first week of the Autumn term).
All other classes finish at 2.40 p.m.
As well as fulfilling the Dept. of Education curricular requirements pupils at the school enjoy many additional activities including:
- Music Generation lessons for all classes.
- Swimming lessons for children from 3rd to 6th classes.
- Using ICT daily through use of laptops and Ipads for lessons and activities.
- Visiting GAA, tennis, dance and multi-sport coaches.
- Participation in art competitions.
- Visiting performers and artists to inspire and inform.
- Projects and activities related to the Irish Green Schools Programme and Discover Primary Science and Maths Award.
- Trips to the theatre, activity centres, museums and other attractions.
- Maintaining the school vegetable garden.
- Participation in the Active Schools Programme.